Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Birthdays and Dirt

They love my hand sanitizer – we call it magic maji (maji=water in Kiswahili)

Birthdays: They don't even know when their own birthday is or sometimes how old they are. I was telling them how it's my mom's birthday and my half birthday next monday and they were so amazed that I knew that kind of information. We had to ask mama when her children were born and she knew what month but now what day. They looked at their birth certificate and Winston’s birthday is on Saturday! So, I am throwing him a birthday party. I have invited the whole family. He is turning 33...or 34, we're not sure. Haha.

Anthills: Irene, my sister, was eating something that looked like chocolate. I asked her what it was and she said it was the stuff that ants make to make anthills. I asked her if that meant it was...dirt? They sell it at all the local shops for about 10 cents. She said it's dirt but it turns into a special kind of dirt when it's in the anthill. My friend Remmy said that a lot of pregnant women eat it and people with iron deficiencies eat it because it is a good source of iron. I tried some and it tasted like...dirt. Surprise!

vocab word of the day:
sawa - ok (pretty much the only word I say all day)

No comments:

Post a Comment